Topics

Arlington County Net 2020-03-03-24 stats

Michael Callaham

Seventeen stations checked into the 2020-03-24 session of the Arlington County Net on the W4WVP 2-meter repeater. This ties the high-water mark for 2020 to date.
KK4EBG, John, aired Amateur Radio Newsline report 2212 at 7 pm ET. When it ended, John called for check-ins.

KC7TNU/M, Gary, checked in as mobile in Alexandria.

KI4BXU, Erik, checked in mobile from Landover.

KO4CVI, Craig, checked in mobile.

K4ZB,Al, checked in from Baileys Crossroads.

W2JWP, Jack, checked in from Ballston.

NW3V, Mike,checked in from Arlington.

WA4FXN, Joe, checked in.

KJ4EMI, Dave, checked in from Falls Church.

KN4JVX, Rande, checked in.

KN4MIB, Zane, checked in from Baileys Crossroads.

KN4SYO, Jerry, checked in from Westover.

KD9XB, Kim, checked in from north Arlington.

KC5QCN, Gary, checked in pedestrian mobile from Shirlington.

KN4TSA, Sam, checked in from Westover.

K4FIO, Fio, checked in.

KN4YP? checked in. He said he was recently licensed, and this was his first net. If anyone copied his 2x3 callsign better than I did, please emailnw3v@...,
73,--Mike, NW3V

Benn Kobb

KN4YP? checked in. He said he was recently licensed, and this was his first net. If anyone copied his 2x3 callsign better than I did
One YL and 8 OM Virginia amateurs received KN4YP* callsigns in the last year.

He might be KN4YPD in Arlington:

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=4202727

[...]

KN4YPD, Zhe, checked in from Rosslyn.
I thank Benn AK4AV and Kim KD9XB for research to elucidate the callsign KN4YPD.

73,--Mike, NW3V

J.E.

Hi Mike and Benn, and all other hams in Arlington,
that was me (KN4YPD). Sorry that I did not make it clear.
I was licensed last year but was not active until recently. I was
very excited to join our net for the first time even though the
connection was poor and I could only hear 30% of what you are saying
using the rubber-duck antenna.
My name is Zhe Yuan, living in Rosslyn behind that famous Pho 75 noodle place.
I had attempted several times to join our net but failed because of my
misuse of the antenna. I did research again last night and finally
figured out that there are at least two sub-types of Nagoya-771 on the
market. The one I was using was designated for UV-5R but I was using
UV-XR. The two radios look quite the same but are a little different
on the edge of the connector (UV-5R is thicker and UV-XR is thinner).
I now give out two free NA-771 designated for UV-5R for our hams.
I then purchased several antennae designated for UV-XR last night.
Hope we can communicate more on the radio=)

73,
Zhe (Eugene) Yuan, KN4YPD